• mini mi: Part I

    Friday, September 08, 2006

    Part I

    Since coming to Berkeley, a few things have happened.
    1. I discovered a vegetarian co-op that holds naked pizza Fridays. 2. While walking, I saw a Michael Landon look-alike. He had the hair and everything. 3. I saw my neighbor, completely naked. Now her window is covered with a tie-dyed scarf. 4. I saw a fruit basket hanging from a random tree in People’s Park. A man walked by and checked it for fruit. 5. When I was walking down Shattuck, a person approached me with, “Good evening, would you like a free psychic consultation?” I politely declined. 6. I’ve seen a field full of goats next to the Schraffenberger Chocolate Factory. People stopped to stare. I took pictures. This was in the middle of a residential area, and the goats were eating weeds and aluminum cans next to crumbling, graffitti-covered walls. 7. While I was taking pictures of goats, a man walked up and picked me some wild fennel. It was tasty. 8. My first night here, I went to a beach bonfire and met a Stanford Economics PhD with a Nalgene bottle full of whiskey. He wanted to talk about Sumerian mythology. 9. Also on my first day, I was throwing a frisbee on-campus. I couldn’t backhand the frisbee and was asking, “How do you do this?” As if prompted, a stranger walked up, took the disc out of my hand, and threw it a perfect arc to my friend. “Like this," he said. 10. The day I moved in, another neighbor, whose name I do not know, offered me a plant. 11. I’ve seen the iconic “Happy-Happy-Happy Guy” of UC Berkeley. He's a bald Taiwanese man with a bright red nose who stands on a box at Sather Gate wearing a sign that says, “Please forgive me for being a prophet of God”. But all he says is, “Happy Happy Happy....” 12. At Sather Gate, student groups pass out fliers. Last week, there were two students protesting the student fliers. They walked up and down the commons area with cardboard signs, yelling, “If you don’t take ‘em, they won’t make ‘em!”

    3 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i like this post. you make berkeley sound like a hilarious place.
    i was on the El (subway) and this ghetto black man made "ching chong" noises at me and then told me he was trying to "holler" at me and that bruce lee was his boy... i guess the strangers here are not of the same quality

    5:54 AM  
    Blogger awadhwa said...

    protesting signs...brilliant.

    can you please approve my comment?

    -anita

    4:43 PM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    where is naked pizza friday?

    10:59 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home